How Do Men Trim Eyebrows?
For many men, grooming is an almost completely neglected part of their self-maintenance. There are several reasons for this neglect. They may have too much on their mind to spend time grooming themselves, they may not feel it is important enough to devote time towards or they may simply not know where to start and what products to use.
One of the easiest and most beneficial grooming jobs a man can do is to maintain the appearance of his eyebrows. Unless a man sports a pair of bushy “Dudley Moore” style eyebrows, they will undoubtedly benefit from some general grooming. Or if you just want to get that perfect arch that celebrities such as David Beckham sport then you might need to trim your brows from time to time.
Mastering this skill is both important and easy. Let’s take a look at what you will require and how to perfect the art of grooming eyebrows for men so that they become an expressive part of your face that can show all manners or feelings – disgust, anger, disdain, surprise, happiness, and humor.
The Tools You Will Need
The most important thing you will require when grooming your eyebrows is a pair of good quality scissors, These can be bought very cheaply from local shops, but it is worth spending slightly more on a decent pair that will last for years.
You will also need a set of tweezers, these can be purchased from any local drug store or a beauty salon. Try and purchase tweezers with a sharp point.
For most trimming jobs, a pair of scissors and tweezers will do the job just fine. However, if you are looking to sculpt your eyebrows into a different shape or want to create perfect arches then some additional help may be called for. In these cases, eyebrow shaping kits can be bought from most large retailers and beauty shops. These kits normally include stencils which help to create the desired shape for your eyebrows.
A man’s guide to trimming eyebrows: The Steps
- Maintain your current length. It may sound obvious, but before you start spending time on the maintenance of your eyebrows, some preparation is needed first. Your eyebrows are effectively hairs that grow outwards from your face so don’t be surprised if you feel like your hairs are glued onto your face.
- To get started, grab a pair of scissors and tweezers which will enable you to pluck out any stray hairs that may stand in the way of achieving the desired look. An electric razor can also be used but this must be done only by a skilled person, as you can easily damage your eyebrows by using this method.
- Assess the current length of your eyebrow hairs. The right eyebrow shape should be based on what looks best with your facial structure and should suit your lifestyle. Forget everything you have seen in magazines or on TV, not all eyebrows are created equally nor will yours look like them.
- Decide on whether to trim or tweeze off excess hair. If your eyebrows are longer than you would like them to be, then you will have to trim off some of the lengths with the scissors. You can use a fine comb to brush up any longer hairs, then use the scissor to trim them down to length. Take your time doing this.
- It is very important that you are not overly aggressive when trimming your eyebrows. Only take off the excess hair, stopping short of removing all the length from your brows.
- Tweeze the hairs if precision is needed for your desired eyebrow shape. Use tweezers with sharp tips so you can achieve the technique of plucking hairs out in one swoop without having to repeat the process too often.
- Create a thinner look by trimming the outer part of your eyebrows near the temples. The aim here is not to remove all your hair, but instead, thin it down slightly for extra effect.
- Trim the top of your eyebrows if you need to maintain the length. It is useful to use a small comb or brush, this allows you to brush up the eyebrows and trim any excess length. Remember not to take too much off when doing this.
- Tweeze any stray hairs from beneath your eyebrows. Those who have excessively bushy eyebrows will benefit from removing the hairs beneath their brows.
- Trim any stray hairs from beneath the bottom part of your eyebrows so you have created a smooth surface.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are guys supposed to trim eyebrows?
Yes, they are, but only if they want to achieve a certain look.
What length should a man trim his eyebrows?
It depends on your overall style. Some guys like them to be longer, while others prefer the look of smaller eyebrows. The most important thing is that you are comfortable with how they look and feel about it.
How often do guys need to trim their eyebrows?
It depends on how fast your eyebrows grow and whether they are sticking / bushy. Most guys tend to just maintain the position of their eyebrows and will ensure that they don’t stray too far from where they began when you had them first shaped.
Is it ok for a guy to pluck his eyebrows?
Yes, this is fine so long as you don’t make them too thin. Also, if there are hairs that keep growing back after you have shaved them off then plucking these is fine as well.
How do you shape men’s eyebrows?
This all depends on the style you want and where your natural eyebrows start and end. Ultimately, it is up to you because you are the one who has to be confident with the look of your eyebrows.
Do guys always need to pluck their eyebrows?
No, they don’t. You can cut them if that is the look that you want to achieve. Some guys prefer to have a subtle arch which is achieved by trimming longer strands of hair from their eyebrows and plucking those which are shorter.
Can I trim my eyebrows with an electric trimmer?
No, you should never try this as it can be dangerous and lead to uneven eyebrows.
What is a man’s arch?
The arch of the eyebrows is the point at which they start and finish off. It should be positioned in an area just above your nose and if this region starts to get too close to your eyes then you should shape it.
Can men trim eyebrows with tweezers?
Most men use tweezers to do this because it is the only way that they can grab on to any stray hairs which grow out of place after they have cut them with scissors. They are also good for plucking thicker hairs which seem to grow back more quickly.
The most important thing is that you don’t try to overdo things and end up shaping your eyebrows into a thin line that isn’t attractive. That is why it is better to take things slow and ensure that you are happy with the direction in which they are growing, compared to when you first started trimming them.
How much length should be left on the bottom of a man’s eyebrows?
This is really up to you and what kind of look you are hoping for. At the end of the day, your choice is the only one that matters because it reflects how confident you are with your eyebrows.
The Bottom Line
Now that you know how to trim eyebrows, it’s time to get started. The most important thing is that you are confident with the look of your eyebrows and then the rest will come naturally.
If you do happen to make any mistakes, don’t worry because it is natural for this to happen. The only thing that matters is that you learn from your errors and try not to repeat them when you are trimming eyebrows next time around.